Peacemaking

The link above is to the letter from a Scottish soldier I read to you in class.

You are all peacemakers: You do hard things, like not hitting back when you are hit, or nor cursing back when you are cursed at. You do this from strength, not cowardice or weakness, but you will most certainly not be applauded for that strength by many, if not most, people.

Being a peacemaker does not, at first glance, help you fit in. You will stand out, and you will be called all manner of nasty names. Some will praise you, but many won't. As a youth leader, there are many who would say that I shouldn't tell you that, because "youth" are all about fitting in. If I want you to be peacemakers, they'd say, I should keep my mouth shut.

But being a youth leader, to me, is to tell you, in the best way I can, the best theology I can. And if you are going to be a servant of God, a peacemaker, then, sometimes, it's going to seem like you're all alone in the world.

But, understand that you are not. Like many things, the popular, easy-to-see "truth" is not truth at all. As it turns out, peacemaking is the natural activity of a child of God such as you. The opposite of peace, whether that be "war", "hate", "selfishness", or whatever else you might want to say, is something that divides us, and, ultimately makes us alone.

I do not need to tell you how to be a peacemaker. You already know about restraint and forgiveness and listening first and looking to Christ and seeing the bigger picture.

I guess I just wanted you to know how proud I am of you, and how disappointed I'd be if you'd let the "world" convince you that what you already know is false. Peace is hard, amazingly hard, and it can often seem stupid or cowardly, but it is vital to the discipleship of Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Ruby Yenkala

Online Worshp for a Small Church (Week 1)

A Sermon: What Happens when I Try to Write a Sermon in McDonald’s (Text: Matthew 5:11-16)