Love Not Fear

Well, I guess it's about time I took some time to describe what the title of the blog means. It's one of those cool phrases that change meaning depending on the punctuation, like "God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen".

Love, Not Fear:

With the comma, it gives a choice. "God is love" says the Bible. "Fear not," it also says in numerous places. I think the choice the Bible wants us to make is pretty clear.

And it is a choice. Love and fear are both emotions, and you can't really help what you feel, but you can help what you do. Love and fear are also verbs. I don't believe that God wants you to be so concerned with your own survival that you jump at shadows. When Christ calls us to love our neighbor, I don't think he means for us to fear our other neighbors.

Now, there are a lot of people who say that I should not tell this to you young people. I constantly see advice that young people need to be made afraid for their futures, either their eternal souls or their career. If I don't tell you to be afraid of, say, going to jail for drug abuse, you'll probably all go out and get high and rob liquor stores.

I have more faith in you than that, and I refuse to be afraid for you either. I do not allow myself to act out of a fear that you will mess up your life, and I will be to blame. I do not allow myself to act out of a fear that you will love the wrong person or the wrong thing. I do not allow myself to act out of fear of you or fear for you because I don't believe that is faithful discipleship.

Love is everything that fear is not. You can't help feeling afraid, and we all feel afraid pretty near constantly to one degree or other. But you can decide to act in love, even when you don't feel particularly loving, even when you are afraid.

Love, not fear.

Love Not Fear:

Without the comma, it is a stronger, and seemingly nonsense statement. It is not a choice, but a command. Why would anyone love fear?

Yet, I think many, many people love fear, even if they do not acknowledge it. I love fear too. There is a certain comfort in staying afraid, staying alert to all the disasters that lie in wait for us. Then, when terror strikes, we will at least not be surprised. We can at least say "I told you so."

If we did not love fear, why else would we surround ourselves with it all the time? Think about all the ways people try to make you afraid:

If you don't buy my product, you'll be left out, lonely, or bored. Be afraid.

If you don't do well in school, you'll end up poor and lonely and bored. Be afraid.

If you don't pass this test, you're life will be over. Be afraid.

If you don't speak up, no one else will. Be afraid.

If you don't accept Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, you're going straight to Hell. Be afraid.

I'm asking you to give up fear for Lent. Refuse to love fear. Mentally repent from terror. Face your fear, acknowledge it, and then turn your back on it.

Love not fear.

Love Not, Fear:

OK, so that way doesn't make any sense at all.....

Comments

Anonymous said…
your right, love not, fear makes no since at all
paz y amor
Lindsay said…
This is a message for everyone. I am a stranger you, but not because I am, as all are, given free will with which I can choose to act through love and not through fear.

Many people ask, why should we not be afraid when god does not protect us from trouble, where I say, god does so but through us.

When we act through love, happiness follows. When we have feelings that can be described as love, that is god talking to us. We need only to listen.
Tim Ruppel said…
Thank you, Lindsay. As you said, you and I are strangers, but I'm sure your friends are blessed to know you.

I don't know why God doesn't make things easier on us. That's just one in a long list of things I don't know. But you're right, Lindsay, God works through us to help each other when trouble comes, or to keep trouble away.

I do want to say that love doesn't always lead to happiness. Sometimes it leads to a very deep sadness. But one thing it doesn't lead to is fear.

And that's fine with me. We've got enough fear going around these days anyway.

Thank you again, Lindsay. And may God continue to bless you.

If you're ever in the New Orleans area, stop by Northminster Prebyerian and ask for Mr. Tim. I'd love to meet you.

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Ruby Yenkala

Online Worshp for a Small Church (Week 1)

A Sermon: What Happens when I Try to Write a Sermon in McDonald’s (Text: Matthew 5:11-16)