Baptism

The link (click on the word "Baptism" above) gives the official Presbyterian statement concerning infant baptism.

And here's my take...


Baptism is God's work.

Like everything else in Christianity's Reformed tradition, God acts first. God has called us "from the creation of the world," long before we can do anything about it.

In other words, baptism is not something we do for ourselves, or we do for our children, but something God does for us.

Baptism marks us as God's people.

I bear a mark on me that I carry everywhere. You can't see it, but everyone who knows me well knows about my mark. It's my last name.

My last name ties me to the generations which have gone before me, the nation they originated in, and those who will go after me. It also binds me to my wife's family, since, when we were married and she took my name, she placed on us the trust and faith of her family's tradition.

I also wear my baptism. I did not choose it, any more than I chose my last name. It was given me. And it is a part of who I am. And it is part of how people see me.

Baptism is a sign and seal.

That is, it's not a magic talisman. God is not required to reject those who were not baptized, any more than your Mom has to throw you out if you don't have your ID on you.

Baptism binds us together.

All Christians anywhere are bound to you by your baptism, and theirs. Even the really scuzzy ones. Even the really great ones. We are all brothers and sisters in Christ, and we are bound to treat each other as such.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Ruby Yenkala

Online Worshp for a Small Church (Week 1)

A Sermon: What Happens when I Try to Write a Sermon in McDonald’s (Text: Matthew 5:11-16)